Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Port Size for 620 Cabs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Port Size for 620 Cabs

    Hi,

    I noticed my DIY 620 Cabs' port size measures about 11.3" x 2.6". When I looked at the available Altec plans for 620 type cabs, the port size specified is 11" x 2.5". May I know if the difference would be significant if I reduce the port size according to the Altec plans?

    Also, is there a good way of reducing the port size without damaging the original cabs? Can I use foam to reduce the port size?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Port Size for 620 Cabs

    Your port raises the tuning < 1 Hz, so inaudible.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Size for 620 Cabs

    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    Hi,

    I noticed my DIY 620 Cabs' port size measures about 11.3" x 2.6". When I looked at the available Altec plans for 620 type cabs, the port size specified is 11" x 2.5". May I know if the difference would be significant if I reduce the port size according to the Altec plans?

    Also, is there a good way of reducing the port size without damaging the original cabs? Can I use foam to reduce the port size?

    Thanks
    The exact dimensions you should regard the driver?s Parameters for.

    I use plates with different cut-outs which i attach behind the port and fix them with screws - that way i can alter the port-sizes until findig/measuring the correct one in combination with the driver.
    I use 604E in the 620.

    But as GM said: your differences don?t matter much.

    best, Klaus

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Size for 620 Cabs

    Thanks for the advice. While the bass articulation of the 604/620 is excellent, somehow I find the bass energy to be lacking when compared with say a JBL 4333/4343. Is this the limitation of the 604/620 combi?

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Size for 620 Cabs

    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    Thanks for the advice. While the bass articulation of the 604/620 is excellent, somehow I find the bass energy to be lacking when compared with say a JBL 4333/4343. Is this the limitation of the 604/620 combi?
    It?s a matter of taste in the end - i know the 4333/4343 JBLs very well. I thinkt that the Altecs are light, swift compared to the JBLs which - again in MY opinion - are somewhat more "punchy" when listening to pop-music.

    I like the bass of the Altecs - and especially the 604E - better because i prefer acoustical Jazz, voices and classic. The "lighter" bass results in more transparency and naturality opposed to the 4333/4343 - without missing anything even when listening to pipe-organs, which come rich, powerful without mudding low registers.

    I also use an active Manger monitor-system - which goes very deep . . but doesn?t have the "taste", the swiftness i like so much with the 604E/620 but is on the very, very precise side of the road . . a system to do work with.

    Of course the lack of deepest notes is what makes the Altecs that "light and swift" . . but as already said: i don?t miss a thing. And that?s very impressing for a system that?s more than 40 years old i?d say . . .

    I wouldn?t prefer the JBLs at all.

    best, Klaus

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Port Size for 620 Cabs

    Note that in theory the 620 can have the same bass 'weight' as the JBL by increasing the total output impedance and tuning it lower with a ducted port. Since the room dominates down low though, using a cheap 25 ohm pot in series to find how much extra is required is what I do/recommend (HF EQ required to re-balance the system) or use the simple expedient of an RTA/EQ to measure the JBL, then EQ the 620 to match and if any boost is required below its tuning, then re-tune the port to this boost frequency with the understanding that efficiency suffers, so more power is required for a given SPL.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Size for 620 Cabs

    With my EQ ON, I turned the High Freq Lpad away from the Optimum position to the mid point. The sound is much more balanced now, the bass is now more pronounced, yet retaining a nice tight sound. However, the highs sounds a bit rolled off. Does anybody actually set the High Lpad at the Optimum position? Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.